How to set up customer reminders
Most businesses will want to send an SMS or email reminder to customers before their appointment starts, which helps to keep customers in the loop and reduce no shows.
Reminders in Timely are completely automated, you just need to turn them! This guide will step you through the process of getting your reminders and settings enabled.
- Email reminders are included in your plan, at no additional charge.
- SMS credits can be purchased in packs, from 100 to 10,000 SMS credits. They never expire and carry over month-to-month, so you only pay for what you need.
Full SMS pricing details for your country can be found on our website.
Choose what type of reminders to send
To turn on your reminders head to Setup > Customer reminders.
At the top of the page you will see a section for SMS reminders and a section for Email reminders:
You can choose to send either SMS or Email reminders, or use both together. Sending an email out earlier, then following up with an SMS reminder closer to the time is a great way to remind customers of their booking in time.
Choose when you'd like reminders to send
You will see a couple of options listed under each heading. For both SMS and Email you can choose to:
1. Set the reminder to send x hours before the customer's appointment starts
You have a number of options available, from 2 hours up to 1 week before: E.g. For an appointment that starts at 3pm on Saturday, a reminder will be sent at 3pm on Friday.
2. Send your reminders at a set time, a couple of days before the booking.
First, choose the day:
Then, choose the time:
3. Don't send reminders.
If you don't want to send any reminders, or want to send just one type of reminder, you can select the Never option under each respective heading:
Set reminders for "Pencilled in" bookings
If you have reminders turned on you also have the option to enable/disable reminders specifically for 'Pencilled-in' appointments:
- SMS reminders: check the box next to Send SMS reminders to customers with pencilled-in appointment under the SMS reminders section (see above).
- Email reminders: check the box next to Send email reminders to customers with pencilled-in appointment under the Email reminders section (see above).
For more information on how they work, check out our How to use Pencilled in bookings guide.
Adjust your SMS and email settings
To make sure your reminders send without any issues, make sure to check your SMS and email settings.
Our How to adjust your SMS and email settings guide steps you through that entire process.
Things to remember:
- By default SMS reminders are only sent between 8:00am and 9:00pm in your local time. You can adjust this in your SMS settings (see above).
- Any SMS reminders generated during outside of the sending window will be delayed until the message start time on the following day. These will be shown as Pending in the messages tab.
- Emails are sent 24/7 at any time of the day (or night), so be mindful of this when selecting a reminder time.
- We won’t send a reminder if you place an appointment after a reminder would have been sent e.g. if your reminder time is 48 hours and you place an appointment within 24 hours of the appointment start time, the system won’t send a reminder.