How to apply payments to invoices
Raising invoices and applying payments in Timely is a great way to make sure you're getting paid for your services. To access our sales and invoicing features and gain more insight into how your business is performing, level up to our Schedule and Sell plan. To upgrade to this plan, check out our How to change your Timely plan guide.
Once an invoice is raised in Timely, then a full or partial payments can be applied. You can apply payments depending on the payment type as well as add multiple payments to a single invoice.
In the guide, we'll show you how to:
- Apply a payment to an invoice.
- Apply a split or partial payment.
- Apply a payment to an existing invoice.
- View the payment history on an invoice.
Watch the video below, or read on to find out how!
Apply a payment to an invoice
When an invoice is first raised from the calendar, you'll automatically be prompted to apply a payment to the invoice:
Under the Apply a payment now heading, you will be shown the total amount of the invoice and the current amount outstanding:
Below this, you will have an option to Choose payment type. By default, you will have three options:
- On Account: which leaves the invoice as Unpaid.
- Credit card.
If you have other methods of payment available, you can add your own default payment types. Our How to create your own payment types guide steps you through that process.
- If you're ready to apply a payment, Choose payment type from those on offer.
- Update the Enter amount field to match the payment you would like to apply.
Note: You can apply multiple payments to an invoice using either the same or different payment types.
Adjust the Confirm payment date field, if the payment occurred on a different day/date:
- Choose the staff member from the Processed by field - this staff member/administrator will be assigned the payment in the Transaction summary:
- Enter Reference information about the payment (this is optional).
- Click the Save button to complete the payment.
If a partial payment was made then further payments can be made by clicking the Add another payment button:
Note: This payment screen can be accessed any time for an unpaid or incomplete invoice by clicking the Apply manual payment button when viewing the invoice.
Apply a split or partial payment
If the customer would like to pay using two different payment types e.g. cash and card, then you can apply a split or partial payment to the invoice.
- Select the first payment type from the Choose payment type options.
- Add the amount for that payment type in the Enter amount field:
- Then you can Confirm payment date (the default will be today's date).
- Choose Payment processed by (you can then filter on this in the Transaction Summary report).
- Enter any relevant Reference information.
- Click the Save button to add the first payment.
- As you've still got a balance owing, it will prompt you to add another payment:
Apply a payment to an existing invoice
If you want to apply a payment to an invoice that was raised at an earlier time/date, then you can do this from the invoice directly.
- Locate the invoice from the customer's record, appointment, or from the Sales tab (How to view or edit an invoice).
- Scroll down to the bottom of the invoice.
- Click the Apply manual payment button at the bottom of the invoice:
In the pop up window Choose payment type from the options, Enter amount (if applying a partial payment), Confirm payment date and update the Payment processed by field (if required):
Click Save to apply the payment.
View the payment history of an invoice
Payment histories for invoices can be tracked in a few different ways:
- The payment history plus reference information is shown on the invoice when viewing.
- Running the Unpaid invoices report will display all the invoices still awaiting payments.
- Select the Sales tab for a specific customer.
In the example below, you can see the complete payment history for a fully paid invoice: