How to set access permissions for staff [Video]
It's good business practice for owners and managers to control what their staff can see and do in Timely. For example, administration staff might only need access to calendars and specific reports, and salon staff might need to see their calendars only.
Timely gives account holders (or business owners) the ability to easily control access for all staff and administrators.
Check out our video or read on to find out more.
How to set staff access
Only the account holder will be able to grant and update access to the account. So to make any changes or give someone access to your account you will need to be logged in as the account holder.
- Log into your Timely account as the account owner.
- Select Account in the main menu and choose Staff access from the options:
- A list of staff and administrators will be displayed with their current access level (Full access, Restricted access or No access) and last login date and time:
- Next to each staff member, there will be an Edit access button which allows you to edit what areas of the account they have access to.
- If the staff member or administrator hasn't been given access to the account yet, a Grant access will be shown instead (see below).
Give a staff member access
If you have recently added a staff member or administrator to your account, you will need to Grant access to allow them to login.
This option will only be available to staff who have an email address listed under Setup > Staff. So if a staff member is missing, make sure to update their address there first.
An email address can only be used once in Timely, so if their email is added as an admin on the account already (or with another business using Timely) then you won't be able to give them access under that same address.
- Click Grant access next to the staff member/administrator:
- At the top of the page, toggle the access to On:
- Click Save to update their access.This will send an email to their address, which will contain instructions on how to set up a new password. If that email hasn't come through, make sure to check the spam/junk folder!
Adjust a staff member's access
Once a staff member has been given access, you can further determine what areas of the account they can access.
Note: As administrators don't have their own calendars, they will have more limited controls e.g. they can only view All calendars or No calendars.
These are broken up into sections based on the headings in the main Timely menu:
- CalendarChoose if a staff member can see their Personal calendar or All calendars.
- You can then determine if they have View only access, or if they are able to add and edit appointments.
- If you work with contractors, or don't want staff to see your prices, then these can be hidden.
- To further protect customer privacy, contact details can be hidden too.
Choose which Dashboard views the staff member can access and whether this includes just their information, or data for All staff.
- The Business overview which shows sales and productivity performance.
- The Staff overview which outlines individual staff performance e.g. Sales, bookings and retention.
- The Activity dashboard which shows upcoming appointments, pending appointments and recent history.
Determines if staff can access the Sales area, or view or raise invoices. If prices are hidden (see Calendar section above) then this section will be removed.
Grants or revokes access to the Customers area and hides customer contact details and related reports.
Check these options to let staff access the Messages area and see outgoing messages, replies or both. If contact details are hidden, staff won't be able to view Messages.
Grants or removes access to different kinds of reports based on report categories:
- Business performance.
- Financial reports.
- Customer reports.
- Staff reports.
Controls access to the Setup, Promote and Account areas:
- Setup includes anything under the Setup menu i.e. Your business, Sales tools, Notifications and Administration.
- You can choose to give a staff member access to only their Roster to allow them to update their own availability.
- Access to the Promote tab can be given independently, perfect for website developers and designers.
- Giving someone access to the Account tab will allow them to view your billing information, payment history and account invoices. It will also allow them to purchase SMS credits.
We don’t recommend giving a staff member or administrator access to the Account area unless absolutely necessary, as this includes billing information for your Timely account.
For privacy and security reasons, we strongly advise against sharing your account holder login details (email address and password) with other staff members.