How to use barcode scanning in Timely
Using Timely, you can scan the barcodes on your retail stock and assign them to products that you have setup in Timely.
Then when you are checking out a customer, you can scan the barcodes on any products they are buying to quickly add them to the sale.
Before you start
Our recommendation for a barcode scanner is the Motorola Symbol LS2208 (link takes you to Amazon, where this can be purchased). We have tested and confirmed this scanner works with Timely.
You must configure your barcode scanner so that it doesn't append an Enter or Tab key when scanning an item. Otherwise, it won't work with the Timely sale screen. In most cases this is the default setting for the scanner.
Most barcode scanners, including the Motorola Symbol LS2208 are configured by scanning control barcodes that come with the scanner.
Barcode scanning is not currently supported for iPad's. However, we will add barcode scanning to our new Timely iOS app. Keep an eye on developments here.
Adding barcodes to products in Timely
- Go to Setup Products and select Edit on the product you would like to add a barcode to.
- Select the SKU/Handle field and scan the barcode on the physical item.
- Click Save to add the product.
- Repeat this process for all relevant products.
Using a barcode scanner to sell products
You can sell a product using a barcode scanner by doing the following:
- When raising a sale, click Add a product.
- Select theItem/description field.
- Scan the barcode into the invoices item/description field.
- Click or press enter to select the suggested product.
- If you don't see a list of any matching products (as above) or you get a message that prompts you to select a product, then the search may not have been performed. If you delete the last character on the barcode and re-type it, this will prompt another search.
Looking for hardware? Check out our Hardware page for some links to thermal receipt printer, cash drawer and barcode scanner bundles: https://www.gettimely.com/pos-hardware/