How to handle refunds in Timely
Can’t see these invoice options in your account? Bring your Dashboard to life and take control of your numbers by raising invoices and applying payments in Timely .
To upgrade to the Schedule and Sell plan, check out our How to change your Timely plan guide.
If you need to issue refunds in Timely, there are a couple of workarounds you can use, in conjunction with your payment gateway/external POS system.
Note: If you're using an accounting integration (e.g. Xero, Quickbooks Online or MYOB) you'll need to delete or amend the invoice there too.
- View the invoice in question.
- Click the Delete button in the bottom right corner of the invoice:
- This will remove any associated payments and automatically adjust stock levels. Click Delete invoice to confirm:
- Make a note of the refund in the customer's record (Customers > Notes).
- Refund the customer with cash or issue them credit to that value.
- Open or View the invoice.
- Click Delete next to any payments:
- Click the blue Edit button (bottom left corner):
Update the Total of each invoice item to 0.00:
Add a note and/or reference with details of the refund:
Click Save to update the invoice.
- Delete the associated payments and then edit the invoice:
- Delete product or service that is being refunded:
- Add a note detailing the refund:
- Apply the reduced payment to the invoice and back-date the payment to the original payment date. Remember we deleted all the payments back in step one:
- Refund the customer for the product/service we deleted with cash or credit.
Note: If a payment has been made through PayPal it can't be deleted through Timely, you'll need to head over to PayPal and delete it in there.