How to send automated follow-up messages
If a customer has recently visited your business, you may wish to follow-up or check in with them after their booking. Perhaps you have some specific information you'd like to send them (like after-care instructions), or you'd like to collect some feedback from them about their experience.
You can create any number of follow-up messages, which can be sent via SMS and/or email. These will be sent to customers at a set time after they have been in to visit.
You can restrict and customise these messages to specific services, new customers or particular booking statuses and make sure a message is only sent to a customer once.
Follow-up messages can be used in a variety of ways:
- Welcome new customers
- Thank customers for visiting your business
- Send after-care instructions after a specific service/treatment
- Encourage customers to review/share their experience
- Ask the customer to complete an online form
- Share information guides or documents with customers
Create a new follow-up message
Before you start, you will need to make sure that you have Two-way Messaging enabled. This allows customers to reply to SMS messages and is a requirement for setting up an SMS follow-up. Our How to turn on SMS replies and confirmations (two-way SMS) guide steps you through that process.
To create a new follow-up message, head to Setup > Customer messages in the main menu:
Click the Add new message button in the top right corner:
At the top of the page, you will see a list of customer messages. Choose Follow-up from the options:
Select the type of message you'd like to send
You can choose to send the follow-up message via SMS or Email.
You have the option to customise both SMS and email messages to suit your requirements, as well as create unique follow-up messages for specific services.
Select which type of message you'd like to send under the Send this as an email or SMS heading:
Set the rules for this specific message
You can then choose when, and under what circumstances, you'd like the message to be sent.
- Choose how long after the customer's booking you'd like the message to be sent:
- Decide what bookings/services the message will be sent for. You can send this after all bookings by choosing the Any service option. Or only send this to Selected services.
- When you choose Selected services a window will pop up which allows you to select which services you'd like this message to be sent for:
- Click Save once you've selected all appropriate services. To change the services included, click the View/change services link:
- You can choose what Booking status the appointment must be set to. If this isn't checked, then follow-up messages will be sent to all booking statuses (except for Cancelled and Did not show bookings).
- If you'd prefer, you can choose to only Send to customers with no previous appointments. If this is checked, customers who have visited you before won't receive this message.
- If this is a welcome message, or you only need to share this information once, then you can check the box next to Send to each customer once only:
Customise your message
You have full control over what information is included in both SMS and email messages:
Follow-up Email messages
When you set up an email message, you can include a link to an external website or document that is hosted online. This will be displayed as a button, which customers can click to take them directly to your chosen site.
- Enter a Subject and your own Custom text message, or adjust the one we've suggested to suit your business:
- To include a link, check the box next to Add a button linking to a site of your choosing:
- Enter the link (URL) in the field provided and choose the Label for the button:
- View a Preview of your message below:
Need some inspiration? Here are a couple of ways in which you can use that button:
- Link to a review website like Yelp, Facebook, Google Maps etc.
- Connect this to your business Facebook so customers can "Like" your page.
- Link directly to a form, or detailed after-care instructions hosted on your website.
Follow-up SMS messages
You can determine what information is included in the SMS message using the placeholder tags on the left-hand side.
Make sure you include your business name, so customers know who they are receiving a message from. You are restricted to 160 characters, so you may need to get a little creative!
Our How to customise the SMS templates has some more information about how you can set up, or amend your SMS templates.
Name and save your message
- Give your follow-up message a name:
- Click Save to create your new message.