How to manage tips in Timely
Can’t see these invoice options in your account? Take control of your business performance and track your numbers by raising invoices and applying payments in Timely. To upgrade to the Schedule and Sell plan, check out our How to change your Timely plan guide.
At the moment, we don't have a purpose-built solution for managing client tips. However, we do have a suggested workaround available using our "Products" feature.
Disclaimer: This will treat tips as sales income and will require you to manually calculate the tip amount (if based on a percentage), which we understand isn't best practice. However, this approach will allow you report on tips given to individual staff.
Our recommended approach is to create a product called " Tip" or "Tips" that you can apply to a client's invoice.
- Head to Setup > Products from the main menu.
- Click the Add product option in the top right corner.
- Give this a Name and SKU/Handle that makes it easily identifiable as a Tip:
- Leave the Cost price and Price blank - the amount can be entered when the tip is added to the invoice. Set the tax for this product to Not applicable.
- Scroll down to the Stock control section.
- Make sure the product is set to Unlimited across all of your locations:
- Click Save to create the product.
Tip: If you'd like to make viewing the total value of tips for all staff even easier, you can create a separate tip product for each staff member.
- Raise an invoice as you would normally.
- Click the + Product button to add a product line to the invoice:
- Search for and select the "Tips" product:
- Assign the staff member who's receiving the tip in the Staff drop down.
- Enter the tip amount in the Total field:
- The invoice total will be updated:
- Click Save to continue to the payment screen.
You'll likely want to track the amount of tips that a specific staff member has been received.
For this to be accurately recorded, you will need to make sure that the correct staff member is assigned on the invoice (see above).
- Head to the Reports tab.
- Select the Product sales report from the list.
- Enter the Date range you're wanting to report on.
- If you've created a tip for each staff member, you can use the All staff option.
- Otherwise, select which Staff member you'd like to report on and click View.
- The Tips product(s) will be listed separately, with the total number and value of tips applied: