How to send a bulk SMS marketing campaign
Bulk SMS is a great way to send your customers a marketing campaign, a limited offer or an important update.
All your customers (with valid SMS numbers) will be automatically opted-in to receive bulk SMS messages.
Customers can opt-out of future campaigns at any point by replying 'STOP' to a marketing message, which will automatically update their settings.
At the moment, it's only possible to send a campaign in bulk to all customers.
The bulk SMS marketing option will only be available to account holders.
Note: Currently bulk SMS marketing is only available to our UK, US, NZ and Australian customers. To request that your country be added to the list, drop us an email on firstname.lastname@example.org
How to send a campaign
- Head to Messages > SMS Marketing from the main menu:
- Here you will see details of the campaign that will be sent, including:
- How many Customers that will be sent a text message.
- The number of SMS Credits available in your account currently.
- Your SMS credits remaining after campaign sent.
- Add a message to the Enter your message here field provided. Make sure to check the wording of your message carefully as this can't be edited or removed!
- Keep an eye on the Character count as you will only have 137 characters to work with:
- Type ACCEPT in the box provided to confirm the terms and conditions:
- Click Send campaign to finish:
- Click the Monitor message sending button to check out your messages in the Messages tab:
- These will show as Pending in line with your SMS delay settings and will start sending after that delay period. It may take a couple of hours for all messages to be sent:
Note: Placeholder tags aren't currently supported in bulk SMS messages. Make sure to include any information, including business names etc, in their full form.
Remove customers from SMS marketing
We include a line at the end of the message, which gives customers the instruction to "Reply STOP to opt-out" to future messages.
If the customer replies to the marketing message with "STOP", then we will automatically update their individual settings so they aren't included in any future SMS marketing messages.
If the customer asks to be removed in person, or you would like to manually update a customer's settings:
- Head to the Customers tab and locate the customer record.
- Click Edit and go to the Notifications tab:
- In the SMS/text marketing section, uncheck the box next to Send this customer SMS/text marketing messages?:
- Click Save to apply your changes.
The customer will still receive any reminders and/or notifications, in line with your settings. These settings won't be affected by replying "STOP".
- Normal SMS charges apply to bulk SMS messages and any replies.
- Only customers with a valid SMS number and that haven't opted out of SMS marketing will be sent a text message.
- If customers share an SMS number, only one SMS will be sent.
- Message sending can't be stopped or edited once the campaign is underway.
- It may take several hours for the campaign to fully send to all customers.
- Like regular SMS reminders and notifications, sending bulk SMS messages will be restricted to the SMS time restriction. So bear this in mind when sending a message to customers.