How to connect your QuickBooks Online account to Timely
To connect a QuickBooks account to your Timely account, you need to make sure you are registered (or are signing up for) a Quickbooks Online account:
This includes both the Essentials and Plus plans:
- QuickBooks AU: https://www.intuit.com.au/switch-to-quickbooks/
- QuickBooks GB: https://www.quickbooks.co.uk/accounting-software/
- QuickBooks global: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/online/
Note: QuickBooks Self-Employed is not currently supported.
If you are using QuickBooks to manage your business accounting, you can integrate Timely with your QuickBooks Online account.
You must be an existing user of QuickBooks, or sign yourself up for a new QuickBooks Online account (see above for links) to connect the two.
Check out the video, or follow the steps below:
- Connect QuickBooks Online to your Timely account.
- Import your taxes from QuickBooks Online.
- Apply taxes to your products and services in Timely.
Connect Timely to QuickBooks Online
- In Timely, head to Setup > Add ons from the main menu.
- Scroll down the list until you find the QuickBooks Online add on.
- Click the 'Activate' button next to QuickBooks:
- Click the Setup QuickBooks button:
- If you're not logged in already, you'll be asked to log in to your QuickBooks Online account:
- Click the Authorise button to establish the connection between Timely and QuickBooks:
- You will then be transferred back to the Setup > QuickBooks page. Here you can see if your connection is active:
Import your taxes from QuickBooks
Before your invoices can be synced to QuickBooks, you need to make sure that all of your services and products in Timely are assigned a QuickBooks tax code.
Not registered to pay tax?
You will still need to assign your services/products in Timely a QuickBooks tax code, even if you're not required to pay tax.
You will need to create a zero rated (or 0%) tax code in QuickBooks, then import it into Timely.
For more information on adding a new sales tax in QuickBooks, check out their guides here:
- In Timely, head to Setup in the main menu and choose Add ons from the list.
- Click Configure next to the QuickBooks integration.
- Click the Import taxes button.
Any relevant Sales taxes in QuickBooks will then be imported to your list of taxes in Timely.
Apply QuickBooks tax codes to your services/products
Tax code that are imported from QuickBooks with have a '(QB)' next to them and a logo shown, so make sure you select one of these tax codes.
There are two ways in which you can apply taxes to your services:
- Individually at a service/product level (Setup > Services/Products).
- In bulk by applying a single tax code to all of your Products/Services (Setup > Sales settings):
For more information on managing your taxes in Timely, check out our How to add taxes guide.
If there are any Services that do not have a matching Tax code in QuickBooks, these will be highlighted on the Configure screen (see below).
Just click on the Edit services button to be redirected to the Setup > Services page where you can then update each service.
This will only apply a QuickBooks tax to any future invoices. QuickBooks will only accept invoices that use their tax codes, so if you have any historic invoices that you'd like to sync across to QuickBooks, then we will need to work some magic from our end. If you've been using Timely for a while and would like your historic invoices to be synced, reach out to us on firstname.lastname@example.org