How to buy SMS credits
SMS messages are a great way to communicate with your customers. SMS in Timely can be purchased in packs, that carry over month-to-month and never expire. That way, you only have to buy as many SMS as your business needs.
For full details of SMS pricing in your country, check out our website: https://www.gettimely.com/pricing
Every SMS message costs 1.0 credit and every reply will cost 0.5 credits.
In this guide we'll cover how to:
- Check your SMS balance.
- Purchase a pack of SMS.
- Set your top up alert levels.
- Enable or disable automated top ups.
What types of SMS can you send in Timely?
- Automated SMS reminders and notifications for customers.
- Instant booking confirmations.
- Automated SMS notifications for staff, or online bookings.
- Sending a message to your customers in bulk, to share important news or a special offer.
- Sending customers one-off messages, for their birthday or to clarify information further.
Check your SMS balance You can check your SMS balance in a couple of different places:
- By heading to Setup > SMS Settings:
- By heading to Account > SMS credits:
Buy an SMS pack SMS can be purchased in packs - in a variety of different sizes, from 100 to 10,000 - so you only pay for what you will need.
- Login as the account holder, or a staff member will access to the Account settings.
- Head to Account > SMS credits:
- Click the Buy SMS credits button:
- Choose your preferred SMS pack from the pop up list, the price will be included:
- To disable automatic top up, uncheck the box next to Enable automatic SMS top-up:
- If left checked, we will automatically top you up with the same package when your SMS balance dips below the threshold. You can update the SMS balance to trigger automatic top up field to set the threshold:
- Click the Buy SMS credits button to finish:
- Timely will take a payment from the credit card on file and your balance will be updated. If you left automatic top up enabled, then your settings will also be updated:
Set the email alert threshold Timely will send out an email when SMS credits reach a certain threshold. By default this is set to 50 credits but you can set this value as follows:
- Click the Edit link on the right-hand side of the SMS credits balance section:
- Choose a new threshold value from the pop up list. We recommend setting this to 50 to give yourself more room to move if credits run out in the middle of a reminder blast (as above).
- Click Save to apply your changes.
Enable/disable automatic top-ups To take the worry out of manually keeping your SMS credit balance topped up, Timely also provides an auto top-up feature. When this is enabled then your SMS credits will never run out.
- Click the Adjust auto top-up settings button:
- To update the pack purchased, update the SMS package field.
- To disable, uncheck the Enable automatic SMS top-up checkbox.
- Or, update the SMS balance to trigger automatic top up field to set a new threshold:
- Click Save to apply your changes.
- Click the Turn on auto top up button:
- Select the SMS package you want to be topped up with.
- Update the SMS balance to trigger automatic top up field to set a top up level:
- Click Save to enable.
If you run out of SMS credits we will keep any SMS messages generated during this period for 48 hours. If the account is then topped up those SMS will then be sent (as long as the booking time hasn't already passed).
The bigger the pack the cheaper the price per SMS, so take this into account when purchasing your packs. SMS credits never expire and carry over month to month, so there's no time limit to use them up in.
You'll be able to view the pack prices in your account, but check out our website for more information: https://www.gettimely.com/pricing/#sms
To buy a pack of SMS credits:
When you buy an SMS pack, you'll be given the option to opt out of automatic top ups. You can update your settings at any time to enable/disable automatic top ups:
When automatic top-up has been enabled and your SMS balance dips below the threshold you chose, the selected pack will be purchased automatically and your SMS credits topped up. To find out more about how notifications and reminders work on Timely, take a look at our guide to reminders and notifications.