How to set up a receipt printer in Timely
Timely prints invoices to PDF format by default. However, you can connect a thermal receipt printer to Timely and print your invoices as sales receipts instead.
Receipt printing is only available by running Google Chrome web browser on either a PC (Microsoft Windows) or a Mac.
At the moment, we can only provide support (and instructions) for the following printers*:
- The Star TSP100, (LAN/USB)
- The Star TSP113 (LAN/USB)
- The Star TSP143 (LAN/USB)
- The mPOP Receipt Printer and Cash Drawer.
*While we can't guarantee all receipt printers will work with Timely, we have customers who have connected other printers successfully!
To print from the Timely iOS app, check out our guides here: http://help.gettimely.com/category/566-printing
Connect and configure your printer
Before you can get receipts working in Timely, you will need to configure your printer to use Timely-friendly settings.
Check out the guides below for more information on configuring your printer:
- Connect the Star TSP printer on Microsoft Windows.
- Connect the Star TSP printer on a Mac (Apple).
- Connect the mPOP receipt printer and cash drawer on Microsoft Windows.
Enable thermal receipt printing on Timely
Next, you'll need to tell Timely to print receipts instead of invoices. Otherwise, you'll end up with some tiny looking invoices!
- Head to Setup > Sales settings from the main menu.
- Scroll down to the Invoice printing settings section:
- Next to each location, choose Thermal receipt from the dropdown:
- Click Save to apply your changes.
When you are printing from the Calendar, or when viewing the invoice, your invoice will be displayed and printed in receipt format:
Note: When you print an invoice from the Sales tab this will print the invoice in the full PDF format, regardless of your settings.
Configure Google Chrome for printing
The last step is to make sure that your receipts are printed at the correct size. This is done by adjusting your browser settings.
- Open a sale in Timely and click the Print button.
- From the print preview screen, click the More settings button:
- Under Paper size choose a paper size appropriate for the receipt printer.
For Star TSP100 / TSP113 / TSP143 on Microsoft Windows choose " 72mm x Receipt".
For Star TSP100 / TSP113 / TSP143 on Mac choose " 72mm x 2000mm".
For Star mPOP on Microsoft Windows choose " 54mm x receipt"
- Uncheck the Headers and Footers box. If these are checked, then you may end up with a never-ending receipt!
- Uncheck the Background graphics option.
- Click Print and your receipt will start printing.
Looking for hardware? Check out our Hardware page for some links to thermal receipt printer, cash drawer and barcode scanner bundles: https://www.gettimely.com/pos-hardware/