How to request deposits for online bookings
This feature is available on our Schedule and Sell plan; everything you need to take your business to the next level. Find out how to upgrade in our How to change your Timely plan guide.
In addition to requesting full payments for online bookings, deposits can also be requested (instead).
There are two different ways to calculate deposits:
This option will calculate a percentage of the appointment total at the time of booking.
E.g. If 10% deposit is required and the total cost of the appointment is $80, then the customer will need to pay $8 to complete the online booking.
Customers pay the same deposit amount regardless of how much the total cost of the appointment is.
E.g., If $25 is specified then the a deposit amount of $25 will always be requested, unless the service is less than $25.
How to set up deposits
When deposits have been enabled, the deposit amount applies to all online bookings regardless of service or class.
- Head to Setup > Online bookings from the main menu:
- Go to the Online payment terms section:
- Click the Accept online payments drop-down and choose your preferred deposit option:
- You'll then have some additional options:
- Enter the deposit value (the percentage or the fixed amount):
- Determine if you would like to Provider a "Pay later" option for customers.
- If you want customers to be able to pay the remainder of the balance online, check the box next to Can pay remaining amount online.
- Click Save to apply.
What the customer sees
- When customers are booking their appointment, or class, online they will be prompted to pay a deposit. After customers enter their details and choose Next they are prompted to make a payment:
- Once the payment is completed successfully, the appointment is confirmed and an invoice is created on Timely. The deposit will be applied to the invoice as a payment and will show the remaining balance owing.
- When the customer arrives for their appointment, a manual payment can be applied to the invoice so that the customer pays the difference. Or, you can allow customer to pay the remainder of their balance online (see above). Deposits can also be deferred like full payments (see above).