How to set up the MailChimp integration
MailChimp is a tool that helps you design email newsletters, share them on your social networks and track your results. To find out more about how the integration with MailChimp works, check out our Getting started with MailChimp guide.
With this integration, you can automatically sync all of your customers (that have consented to receive email marketing) to your MailChimp account.
In this guide we'll cover how to:
- Sign up for a MailChimp account (if you haven't already).
- Connect Timely to your MailChimp account.
- Select your list and segments.
Important information for EU/UK customers
Under the new privacy regulations in the EU ( Privacy at Timely - GDPR), customers based in the EU and the UK will need to explicitly opt-in to be sent email marketing messages.
When MailChimp is connected, we will give customers the option to opt-in to your email marketing when they are booking online. If the customer checks this box, then they will be synced to MailChimp. Check out our How to record marketing consent in Timely guide for more information.
We are also working on making that checkbox available for all customers. This will allow you to manually opt in or out customers that are added to your account, outside of the online booking process. We will update this guide with any developments here.
The best practice would be to manage your subscriber list directly in MailChimp. This will allow you to unsubscribe any customers that haven't explicitly opted-in. You can then manually resubscribe any customers that give their consent directly in MailChimp.
The contents of this guide and other related GDPR guides are for general information purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. We recommend talking with your lawyer, or seeking legal advice, about what your business needs to do to be compliant.
Sign up for MailChimp account
To get started you'll need to have a MailChimp account. If you don't have one of these, you can head over to MailChimp's website to sign up:
- Create a new account with MailChimp: http://mailchimp.com/
- You will also need to setup at least one list, that you can sync your customers from Timely to: https://kb.mailchimp.com/lists/growth/create-a-new-list
Note: Plans are based on the number of subscribers that you have in your MailChimp account, so this is something to be mindful of when selecting a plan. You can use Timely with any of MailChimp's plans, both free and paid.
Connect MailChimp to your Timely account
Once your MailChimp account is set up, you can connect this to Timely.
- In Timely, head to Setup > Add ons and scroll down the list.
- Click Activate next to the MailChimp integration:
- Click the Setup MailChimp button:
- This will take you to the MailChimp login screen, where you can enter your MailChimp Login ID and password:
- Click Login. If you have multiple MailChimp accounts, you'll need to select which one you'd like to connect.
- Your Timely and MailChimp accounts will then be linked (this may take a few moments).
Note: Multiple Timely accounts can be connected to one MailChimp account with the recommendation that a different subscriber list be used for each Timely account.
Select your list and segments
Now that the two systems are connected, you can tell Timely which list you'd like to sync your customers to and which customers to include:
- You'll land on the setup page, which prompts you to complete the setup.
- Click the Edit Settings button:
- Set the Default list from the field provided:
- Choose the Customer segments you want synced:
- Click Save to complete the process.
- To sync your customers that have opted-in to email marketing, click the Refresh customers button. This can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours, depending on the size of your customer list.
- Any time you make a change to a customer record (that relates to one of the fields we send to MailChimp), Timely will automatically sync those changes across to their record in MailChimp. Depending on the time and volume, this can take anywhere between a few minutes and a few hours.
Getting started with MailChimp
As MailChimp is a separate company, there is limited support we can provide around setting up campaigns and newsletters. MailChimp has a great knowledge base, which covers how to use MailChimp. Here are some recommended guides for getting up and running: