How to add padding or processing time to services
Sometimes, there will be a part of the booking that doesn't require either the customer or the staff member to be present.
For bookings that require some kind of setup or clean up between them, you can add Padding time before or after the service. This blocks the time out in the calendar so another customer can't be booked.
If you perform a series of services within an appointment, like a hair cut and colour, you may require some processing or down time in between those services. Processing time creates a free space or gap after a service which allows other customers to be booked in to that space.
- Add padding time to a service.
- Add processing time to a service.
- Update existing bookings to new settings.
Online bookings: We will factor in both padding and processing times for online bookings to ensure there is enough time between consecutive appointments. For example, if a service has a length of 60 minutes and padding time of 15 minutes, Timely will reserve 75 minutes for that service.
Add padding time to a service
Timely assigns padding time to individual services because different services require more or less work before the next appointment.
- Go to Setup > Services and click the Edit button on a chosen service.
- Set the Length of the service if you haven't already then click the Add padding and process times link:
- In the padding time field, specify the number of minutes or hours of padding you need around the service:
- This will default to Padding time, but you can select this from the drop down:
Add processing time to a service
- Head to Setup > Services and click the Edit button next to the service:
- Click the Add processing time link:
- Enter the duration of the processing time.
- Select Processing time from the drop down:
- Click Save to apply any changes.
Update existing bookings
When you update the settings of a service (including adding or adjusting padding time) it will only apply to any new appointments added to the calendar. You can manually update existing bookings so that they use the new settings:
- Click Edit on the appointment.
- The booking will use the original service settings:
- Select another service in the Service 1 list:
- Then re-select the original service from the list:
- Click Save to update the appointment to the new settings.
Tip: If you regularly perform multiple services together, these multi-service appointments may have different requirements when it comes to padding/processing time. You can adjust those requirements for those particular appointments, using Service Groups.