Getting started with MailChimp
MailChimp is a tool that helps you design email newsletters, share them on your social networks and track your results.
You can sync your customer list from Timely to MailChimp and send your customers automated (or manual) emails. You can use MailChimp to send:
- Special offers or discounts.
- Business news, information and announcements.
- General newsletters.
Want to send rebooking reminders or follow up messages after a customer's booking? Check out our Getting started with automated customer messages guide.
How does the sync work?
When you first connect MailChimp to Timely, we will automatically sync across all of your customers to the selected list in MailChimp.
If you add, modify or delete customers in Timely, then these changes will automatically sync to the MailChimp list. Customer information only syncs from Timely to MailChimp, so if you make a change to a customer in MailChimp, this won't be reflected in Timely.
There are a couple of scenarios in which a customer won't be synced to MailChimp:
- The customer doesn't have an email address listed.
- If more than one customer uses the same email, the address will only be subscribed once.
- They have already been unsubscribed from the list in MailChimp.
- If a customer records are merged, the email address of the merged (secondary) customer is unsubscribed in MailChimp. If both merged customers share the same email address, they are both unsubscribed.
- When the customer is deleted in Timely, we'll also unsubscribe them from the list.
Once a customer is synced to MailChimp, you will need to manage their subscription in mailChimp directly.
Note: You can manually sync all of your customer at any time by heading to Setup > Add ons > MailChimp and clicking the Refresh customers button:
What information do we send to MailChimp?
As part of the process, we'll send a bunch of useful information about that customer to their record in MailChimp:
These are referred to as " merge tags" and you can use any of these fields to segment your customer list. There are 17 fields that we include:
- Email address
- First name
- Last name
- Company name
- Birthday (Date)
- Last booking date (Date and doesn't include future bookings)
- Completed booking value (Currency)
- Last booking staff member (Staff name)
- Timely MailChimp tag (see above)
- Last completed booking date (Date)
- Last service booked
- Last class date (Date)
- Last class booked
- Completed class value (Currency)
- Last class value (Currency)
- Has future bookings (True/False)
- Has future classes (True/False)
We automatically group your customers into segments as part of that process; "All", "Male", "Female" and "VIP".
When you first set up the integration, you can choose which of these groups you'd like to send to MailChimp.
You can update this at any time by going to Setup > Add ons > Email marketing (Configure) > Edit settings:
To view this segment in MailChimp, open the list, click Manage Subscribers from the menu and choose Groups:
The Timely MailChimp tag
Tags are a specific tag field that you can use to segment your customers. You can enter any value you wish into this field, such as "facial clients" or "bootcamp attendees".
The MailChimp tag field has a total character limit of 50 (including spaces or separators such as commas or semi-colons). If you are unsure of your total character count, feel free to refer to this character counter tool.
To add a MailChimp tag, head to the Customer record on the Customers tab, click Edit, then click on the More Info tab:
Note: Make sure to use the "Contains" selector (not the "is" one) when creating a segment based on the MailChimp tag, especially if you have entered multiple tags for each customer: