How to issue customer credit
If a customer wants to pre-pay for their bookings, but doesn't have a specific appointment booked yet, then you need a way to show their account is in credit. This is particularly important if a customer pays in weekly or monthly instalments.
To record the payment they've made in Timely, you can issue them Customer credit. That credit can then be redeemed against any of their invoices. A payment must be taken to issue customer credit. To make sure your accounts line up, you can back date any payments in Timely to match the original date the payment was received.
There are a couple of different places you can issue credit to a customer:
- Issue credit from the calendar.
- Issue credit from the customer's tab.
- Issue credit from the sidebar.
This feature may not be available on your current plan. Find out how to upgrade in our How to change your Timely plan guide.
Issue credit from the calendar
- You can quickly issue credit from the calendar by clicking the sales tag icon in the top left corner and selecting Credit from the options:
- A window will pop up that allows you to enter the Amount for the credit:
- You can then add the Customer to the credit - start typing the customer's name to search for an existing customer. Click on the customer's name to add them to the credit:
- Add a Reason for credit. To add an expiry date, click on the Expiry tab:
- This will be set to Never by default, but you can use the date picker to select a specific expiry date:
- Click Save and pay. This will create a new invoice for you to process the credit:
- Select the staff member who is making the sale:
- Click Save to raise the invoice. You will then need to apply a payment to activate the credit.
- Select the payment type, adjust the Date if required:
- Click Save to complete. Once you have applied a payment, the credit will be activated and ready to use.
- To view a customer's credit balance and history, head to Customers find the customer and click the Credit tab:
Issue credit to a customer You can also issue credit it to a customer from their profile.
- Head to the Customers section.
- Find the customer who you would like to issue credit for and select the Credit tab:
- Click Issue credit to start the issuing process (see above):
Issue credit from the sidebar
You can also issue credit it to a customer from their profile.
- Bring up a customer using the sidebar.
- Click the green tag icon to raise a sale.
- Choose Credit from the options and follow the on screen process (see above):