Paying GST on your Timely invoices (Australia)
In July, 2017 there was a change to GST legislation in Australia. This change requires that GST be collected on all international online services and products that are sold to Australian consumers, including subscription services like Timely.
If you are based in Australia, then you may also be required to pay GST (10%) on your Timely subscription invoices.
If your business is GST registered, then you could be eligible for an exemption. We are required to record your ABN (Australian Business Number) and GST status and supporting (if applicable).
This is effective from the 15th of January, 2018
- If you are registered to pay GST, you are treated as a business entity and will not be required to pay tax on your Timely subscription.
- If you aren't registered for GST, then you are treated as a consumer and will be required to pay tax on your Timely subscription.
Note: As no GST is collected, businesses that are registered to pay GST in Australia, won't be able to claim tax credits for their Timely subscription and associated payments.
Add your ABN and GST status
- Upon opening Timely, you will be prompted to register your ABN and GST status:
- If you have an ABN, enter this in the I have an ABN field:
- If you don't have an ABN, click the Confirm I don't have an ABN:
- Then, update your GST status. Under My business is GST registered click on "Yes" if you are registered and "No" if you aren't:
- Click Save to update and apply.
- Alternatively, you can choose I'll fill this out later to update your status at another time.
Note: If you register your business at a later date, you'll be able to update your ABN settings by heading to Account > Billing (see below).
Update your ABN or GST status If you want to update or add your ABN or GST status, you can come back to this process at any time:
- Head to Account > Billing.
- In the GST section, click the Apply for exemption
- In the pop-up, check the box next to My business is registered for GST with the Australian Tax Office (ATO) if you are GST registered:
- Enter your ABN number in the field provided. If you aren't registered, but still have an ABN, you can add this here:
- Click Save to apply your changes.
Note: It is the business owner's responsibility to be truthful about GST registration for the purposes of tax exemption. The ATO places full responsibility on you the business owner to communicate this truthfully. Timely is not accountable for any misinformation, or information given under false pretences.