Getting started with cash management
In this guide, we'll get you up to speed with the what, how and why of registers and cash management.
When cash management is enabled, a register will be created for each of your locations. You will be required to open the register at the beginning of the day and of your sales will then be processed through the register.
This feature also allows you to record when you take cash out, or put cash back in the till for petty cash.
At the end of the day, you can perform a cash up to reconcile what's been recorded in Timely, against what you've processed through your card reader or cash till.
The cash up function allows you to:
- Have complete visibility over your in-store incomings and outgoings.
- Easily see payments recorded against invoices and compare them with your cash and card totals on hand.
- Catch any bookings that haven't been invoiced or are missing payments.
- Use our cash calculator to make counting cash easy and reduce handling errors from manual calculation.
- Identify payment errors quickly and easily.
- Have greater confidence in your cash reporting and record keeping.
- Hold staff accountable and prevent potential theft.
To find out how to use the sales registers, check out our guides:
- Set up your sales registers.
- Track your petty cash expenses.
- Perform a cash up.
- Open and close the register on the Timely iOS app.
- Once this feature is enabled, you will be required to open and close the register each day. If you disable this feature at any point, then re-enable it, we will prompt you to open the register the next time an invoice is raised.
- You will be able to restrict which staff members can record petty cash expenses and which staff can perform a cash up. Any staff that have access to raise sales will be able to Open the register.
- If you have multiple locations, we will automatically create a register for each location. A location and a register aren't explicitly linked, so it's possible to raise an invoice for a booking at one location via the other location's register. You will need to switch between registers to process a payment at a different register.
- While we do support integration with some cash drawers, these actions are based on our connection with the thermal receipt printer. As there is no receipt produced for a petty cash transaction, there isn't currently a way to automatically open the cash drawer from Timely when this is recorded.
- The cash calculator will only be supported for businesses using the following currencies: AUD, NZD, GBP, USD, CAD, EUR, SGD and ZAR.