Issue a refund from your iPhone or iPad
Note: To make sure you get the very best app experience, you'll need to have the latest version of IOS installed on your phone.
Sometimes you will need to refund a customer's invoice, particularly if they return a product or don't go ahead with a booking that you've taken a deposit for.
IMPORTANT: It's not possible to refund invoice items for Customer credit, Gift vouchers or Packages.
This guide will step you through the process of refunding the invoice in Timely:
Refund a sale in Timely
- Open the Timely iOS app and head to the Customers section:
- Search for the customer in the field provided and tap to open the customer's record:
- Tap View all sales from their record to view a list of recent invoices/payments:
- Tap on the sale in the list and tap Issue refund from the options:
- You'll be taken to the Sales tab, where the invoice items will be added to the refund with a negative value:
- Remove any items from the refund that you don't want to refund:
- Tap Refund to process the refund:
- Choose the method for the refund:
- Tap Save to apply the payment:
You'll then be shown a summary of the refund. If there are any products included in the refund, you'll see an indication that the product has been returned. Tap Done to finish:
- The refund will then show up in the Refunds section in the customer's record:
Note: If you have the Xero integration enabled then you will also need to apply a credit note to the associated invoice in Xero.
You can open the invoice in Xero, using the link in the top right corner of the invoice:
Check out Xero's Add a credit note to a sales invoice guide for more information.
Refund a Smartpay or Tyro payment If you have a Smartpay or Tyro terminal connected to your Timely account, then you will be able to automatically send refunds from Timely to the connected terminal:
- When you get to the Give refund step, select Smartpay or Tyro from the options.
- This will send the refund amount to the connected terminal.
- If using Tyro, you will also need to swipe the merchant card and enter the pin you set up for refunds.
- You can then swipe/insert the customer's card on the terminal.
- Once the refund has been processed, you'll see the Refunded message in Timely. You can then tap Save and Done to complete.
Refund an online payment If you have a payment gateway connected to Timely then you will also need to refund the payment with the payment provider.
- Stripe: https://stripe.com/docs/refunds
- PayPal: https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-do-i-issue-a-full-or-partial-refund-faq780
- eWay: https://go.eway.io/s/article/How-do-I-process-a-refund
- PinPayments: https://pinpayments.com/support/charges-and-refunds/refund-customer
- Authorize.net: https://support.authorize.net/authkb/index?page=content&id=A567
Check out the guides below for more information on how to process a refund via your payment provider: