How to manage professional stock
In Timely, you can keep track of your professional stock, or the products you use internally. This could be retail products you use on clients, like shampoos and treatments, or your full range of professional colours.
Like retail products, you can record a name, SKU or handle, description and cost price, as well as record a stock level or set alerts when stock is running low. However, unlike retail products, professional stock can't be added to client invoices.
In this guide we'll cover how to:
This feature is available on our Schedule and Sell plan; everything you need to take your business to the next level. Find out how to upgrade in our How to change your Timely plan guide.
Add professional stock to your account Professional stock items are added separately to your list of regular retail products.
- Head to Setup > Products from the main menu:
- You'll see two tabs underneath the heading, click on Professional stock to view a full list of your professional stock items:
- Click the New product button and choose New professional product button to add a new item:
- Record a Name, SKU/Handle, Description and Cost price for the item:
- You can then click Save at this point to complete the process. Or, you can continue on to update the stock levels (see below).
Update stock levels and set alerts You can keep track of your internal stock use and receive alerts when items are running low.
- To update the Quantity of an item, click Edit next to the item:
- Scroll down to the Stock control section. You'll see a list of your locations, with the current availability. This will be set to 0 by default:
- To add stock:
- Click the [ + ] icon:
- Enter how many items you want to add and select a reason.
Note: If you have multiple uses available in a single item, you can use decimal places when entering a stock level e.g. if you have 4 uses available in a single item, you would enter 0.75 if you had 3 uses remaining.
- Click Add to apply. The stock level will be automatically updated.
- To remove stock:
- Click the [ - ] icon:
- Enter how many items you want to remove and select a reason.
Note: You can use decimal places when entering stock level e.g. enter 0.5 if you used half of the stock item.
- Click Remove to apply. The stock level will be automatically updated.
- You can then set an Alert for that item at each location. We'll send you an email, as well as a notification in the app:
- Click on the field under the Alert column:
- Enter the threshold you want to be sent an alert at:
- When you're ready, click Save in the top-right, or bottom-right corner, to apply.
Tip: You can update the stock you use on the fly, or dedicate some time at the beginning/end of the day to record all your internal product use at once.
Any adjustments will be recorded in the History section, which can be viewed by editing the item:
Tip! You can view your professional stock levels in the Stock levels report by selecting Profession from the Stock type drop down: