Getting started with SMS and email in Timely
xAt Timely, you have a wealth of options available for staying in touch with your clients.
For all messaging options in Timely, you can choose to send SMS (text messages) and or Emails. Emails are included in your plan at no extra cost, but there are additional charges for SMS.
In this guide we'll cover everything you need to know about:
- Sending SMS from Timely.
- Sending email from Timely.
- What customer messaging options are available.
- What staff messaging options are available.
Sending SMS from Timely SMS are a great way to connect with clients. In Timely, you can purchase SMS credits in packs, that carry over month to month and never expire. They are the only additional charge on top of your monthly subscription.
- Each SMS sent from Timely will cost 1.0 credit.
- If you would like to receive SMS replies from clients, these replies will cost 0.5 credits.
- The account holder can view the SMS balance at any time by heading to Account > SMS credits.
- The number used for SMS messages is randomly assigned by our providers. It's not currently possible to assign a specific number or name to your SMS messages, so we recommend including your business name in your SMS messages.
- SMS messages are limited to 160 characters. We're gathering feedback on being able to support multi-part messages (that are made up of multiple 160 character messages). Let us know if you'd like to see this in Timely by sending us an email on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SMS can only be sent within your country. Your country code will automatically be added to the beginning of your client's numbers, so you can enter these in international format directly (without the '0' at the beginning!).
- Due to local restrictions, our bulk SMS and two-way SMS features are only supported in some countries. Find out more:
We have a few different options for SMS pack sizes, from 100 credits to 10,000 credits. You can find out full SMS pack pricing for your country on our pricing page.
Before you start
If you do happen to run out of SMS, we will keep your SMS messages in a queue for 48 hours. During this time they will show up as ' Pending' in the Messages tab. As long as you top-up during the 48 hours the SMS messages will still be sent (providing the appointment date hasn’t passed).
Check out the following guides for more information:
Sending Email from Timely Emails are included as part of your plan cost. Emails are perfect for longer-form communication and you have a range of great email options available in Timely. Keep reading below to find out more about those messaging options!
All your emails will be sent by us, but we'll assign your email address as the " Reply to" email - this means that any time a client replies to an email, it will go straight to your inbox directly. You can then continue the conversation there.
We'll do our best to make sure those emails end up in the right place, but some email systems can incorrectly mark these as junk or spam. We've got some tips for how to prevent that in our guide below:
What customer messaging options are available? In Timely, you have heaps of customer messaging options available. This allows you to keep clients in the loop with bookings, reduce no shows, increase sales and retention and build better relationships with clients.
- Customer reminders
- Customer confirmation and booking change notifications
- Customer notifications for "No show" appointments
- Post-appointment follow up messages
- Rebooking reminders
- One off or ad hoc messaging (Manually send messages to individual clients)
- Bulk SMS marketing* (Only available in selected countries)
- Bulk Email marketing via MailChimp
- Getting started with automated customer messages
- How to send a bulk SMS marketing campaign
- Getting started with MailChimp
What staff messaging options are available To make sure your staff are also kept in the loop with their bookings, you have a few staff messaging options available too!
- Notifications for new bookings, booking changes and cancellations
- Online booking notifications - be notified if you receive any online bookings specifically
- Automatic day sheet emails - staff can receive an email every day with their appointments listed
- One off or ad hoc messaging - send staff a quick SMS or email from within Timely
You'll be able to set up all of your automated customer messages (including reminders and notifications) in one place, under the Customer messages section. You have the following messaging options available in both SMS and email:
Check out the guides below for more information:
Check out the following guides for more info: