Cardless Checkout on TimelyPay
TimelyPay now allows you to take payments from client's saved cards at checkout. Any client who has saved a card will automatically have it added as a payment type at checkout, this makes 'cardless checkout' the easiest and cleanest way for your clients to pay for their appointment!
Cardless checkout is currently only available to customers based in Australia, New Zealand and United Kingdom.
You can encourage more clients to save their card with you by enabling card capture. Card capture will require clients to save their card into Timely when they book or pay with you online. Card capture has been proven to increase the number of bookings you'll receive online, plus it helps protect your business by protecting against no shows, and offers an incredible client experience that will make every client feel like a VIP.
- How to check out a client with Cardless Checkout
- How to encourage clients to save their card
- Managing saved cards
- Restrictions on using Cardless Checkout
How to check out a client with Cardless Checkout
Once your clients start saving their cards, you will see new a payment type called Saved cards appear as an option when you are processing a sale. You will be able to select the client's saved card to charge against the sale.
If you'd like to pay by a different method, just click 'Other payment types' to use any of your other configured payment types.
If you'd like to use a saved card for a part payment, just adjust the amount that you would like to charge in the box that says 'Enter amount'.
Once you're happy with your payment type click save to process the sale as normal.
How to encourage clients to save their card
The easiest way to make sure that clients save their card for cardless checkout, is to enable card capture. Turning card capture on will require clients to save their card and agree to your cancelation policy before their can make a booking or payment online with your business. They will need to save their card in online booking even if no deposit is being paid.
To activate the Card Capture setting, go to Setup > Online Payments then click the box that says 'Activate card capture'.
Alternatively you can ask clients to save their card by logging into your system and adding one to 'My Cards'. You can direct clients to login using your client login links. Learn more about adding and managing cards in 'My Cards' here.
How card capture works for clients
- During Online Booking or when making a payment online, your client will be prompted to log in using their mobile number. This is how we confirm their identity.
- The client will be required to enter their card details and click a box named 'Save card for future payments'. This will save the client's card to Timely, and capture the client's consent to charge their card for future payments. The client will need to enter their card to make a booking, even if you don't require any deposit to be taken. If no deposit is required, the card will not be charged.
For more examples please see the table below
4. Logged in clients will be able to use their saved cards online the next time they need to make a payment with you.
- Here you will see when the card capture is mandatory, optional or not available. If it is not available when clients are making payments online they can still add their card via the "My Cards" section of the Client Login
Card Capture Options
How can you manage saved cards
Current restrictions to Cardless Checkout
Your clients' saved cards will be shown under the Customers page of your Timely app. On this page, you can see how many cards are saved against that client and remove a card on their behalf.
To learn more about storing cards on TimelyPay, check this help article.
How can you capture cards from offline bookings?
At the moment, cards can only be captured from online channels. If you want to try to capture cards from offline bookings, you can direct your clients to the My Cards section of the Client Login, which will allow them to save a card without making a booking.
Can you charge saved cards for no-show/cancellation fees?
This functionality is not yet available during but will be coming very soon!
What happens if a saved card does not have sufficient balance?
Since we are currently not putting authorisation holds on saved cards when there is no payment taken, we will prompt the staff member to send an online payment link to the client or select another payment method instead if the payment fails.
Can I use Cardless Checkout on the iOS app?
This functionality is not yet available but will be coming very soon!