How to set or edit stock levels and alerts
Tracking quantities of products sold is key for businesses who sell products in addition to delivering services. This article explains how to set up your products for stock control.
In this guide, we will cover how to:
- Adjust the stock levels.
- Set the threshold for ordering alerts.
- View a history of any stock adjustments.
- Taking stock and reporting on current stock levels.
Can’t see Products in your account? Products are available on our Schedule and Sell plan. To upgrade to this plan, check out our How to change your Timely plan guide.
Adjust the stock levels
You can adjust the stock level for any product at any time, this is perfect for adding new stock after receiving an order, or making any adjustments after a stock take.
If you have multiple locations, you can add different stock levels at each location.
- Head to Setup > Products
- Edit a product by clicking the Edit button
- Go to the Stock control heading
- Click the [+] (plus) button to add stock or click the [-] (minus) button to decrease stock:
- Choose a reason for the adjustment from the drop-down list:
- Click Add or Remove on the adjustment pop up (see above).
- Repeat process for any other locations.
- Check the box Allow product to be sold even when out of stock? if the product can be sold when you have no stock on hand.
- Click Save to record the new stock levels.
Set threshold alerts
Once products are in stock, you can set an alert for when a product quantity drops below a certain level.
This will send the account holder a notification with a prompt to re-order a product.
- From the Setup > Products page, Edit a product and head to the Stock section (as above):
- If a product is Unlimited then the option to add an alert won't be shown (see above).
- As soon as a stock level is recorded, you can adjust the level in the Alert field:
- To be notified by email when stock levels drop below this threshold check the Send emails when available stock reaches the alert limit? check box.
Notifications will appear in Timely when stock levels get low. This can also be identified under the Setup > Products page, by the icon which will turn red in stock levels are low:
View stock change history
Every stock adjustment action will be recorded and viewable through the product history. The staff member who made these changes will also be included.
Go to the History section when editing a product:
Whenever stock levels are changed, associated sales will be checked and the stock levels will be offset against these manual adjustments (see above).
Note: When you add a product to an invoice, then the stock level will be decrease accordingly once the sale is completed. Product sales will not show up as stock adjustments in the History.
Reporting on stock levels
To view a list of all of your products and their current levels head to the Reports tab.
Choose the Stock levels report (under Financial) and select a location, click the View report button to generate the report.
It's not possible to run Stock level report for a past date, so if you need to know the stock level at a certain point in time we would recommend running the report and exporting this for future use e.g. run the report on the last day of every month.