How to set the cancellation and online booking policies
You are able to customise your cancellation and online booking policies to suit your business.
In this guide we're going to show you how to update or set:
- Initial status for online bookings.
- Staff booking preference.
- Online booking preferences.
- Online booking time policies.
- Cancellation and change settings.
- Online payment settings.
You can update these settings at any time by heading to Setup > Online bookings from the main menu:
Initial status for online bookings At the top of the page, under the
Settings section, you can set the default status for online bookings.
- Instantly accepted (Confirmed)
- Require your staff to approve or accept online bookings (Pencilled in).
Here you can decide if you'd like online bookings to be:
Click on the option to set the Initial status for online bookings:
Staff booking preferences Next up, you can specific how you would like your staff to be assigned in online bookings. You have three options:
- Customers can select a staff member, or choose no preference: This is the default option and allows a customer to select a specific staff member, if they have a preference, or choose No preference if they are happy to see any staff member.
- Customers must select a specific staff member: The customer must select a staff member before they are shown any available times. They can then select another staff member from the options to view their availability instead.
- Have no option to select staff, staff automatically assigned: This will show all available times and the staff member will be assigned based on which time is selected.
Tip: To change the order your staff appear in the online booking process, check out our How to change the staff order guide.
Online booking preferences You can also set some additional customer requirements and online booking options:
- Make sure that customers are kept in the loop with bookings by checking the box next to The customer must enter their email address and telephone number.
- Check the box next to Allow customers to book appointments with more than one service to allow multi-service and service group booking.
- To remove the Timely tagline from your booking process, uncheck the box next to Display the "Powered by Timely" logo and tagline.
- Click the Enable bookings across timezones link to enable this setting:
Check the box next to Allow customers to book appointments in their local time zone:
Customer time zones
If you have customers that live in a different time zone than your business, or you offer services online, you can allow customers to see appointments/classes in their own time zone.
Note: If your business has locations in multiple timezone, we do not recommend allowing customers to book appointments in their local time zone. Find out more.
Online booking time policies You can also set some restrictions around when customers can book appointments:
- Use the first Customers can book appointments up to field to set how much notice you need for online bookings e.g. if this is set to 24 hours, customers will only be shown available bookings at least 24 hours in the future:
- Use the second Customers can book appointments up to field to set how many days/weeks/months in advance will show up as available online e.g. setting this to 2 months will only allow customers to see availability for the next 2 months:
Cancellation and change settings You can control if customers are able to cancel or change their appointments online.
If this is enabled, a link can be included in their reminder or confirmation email, which allows them to change their appointment online. You can also control how much notice you require for cancellations and changes online (24 hours is a common timeframe).
We will create a basic cancellation policy based on those settings, but you can add any Additional cancellation terms in the field provided:
Online payment settings If you want to accept online payments, you can set a default policy for your online bookings. It's also possible to set a different online payment term for individual services.
Check out our How to set up online payments for appointments guide for more information.