How to handle expired gift vouchers
You can set your gift vouchers up with expiry dates when you create them, or adjust an existing gift voucher's expiry date once it has been issued.
In this guide we'll cover:
- How to change or add an expiry date.
- What happens when a gift voucher expires.
- How to reactivate an expired gift voucher.
How to add or change a voucher expiry date
You can set your gift vouchers up with expiry dates when you create them, or you can adjust an existing gift voucher's expiry date.
To change the expiry date of a specific gift voucher, head to Setup > Gift vouchers and search for the voucher you want to edit.
Click the voucher code to open the gift voucher, and go to the Expiry tab. Edit the date as required and click Save:
Once the voucher has expired, it will no longer be valid and can't be redeemed. See below for instructions on how to reactivate a
Note: Make sure to check with the laws in your country around expiry dates of gift vouchers. Some countries prohibit the use of expiry dates.
What happens when a gift voucher expires
Gift voucher's are treated as a Liability until they are redeemed. When a gift voucher expires, then that liability is no longer owed to the customer and that value will need to be treated as Revenue instead.
When a gift voucher expires, we will automatically create an invoice which debits the value of the voucher from the liability account. In the same invoice, we will record that gift voucher value as revenue.
The Total value of the invoice will be 0.00:
While the net value of the invoice is 0.00 and won't be included in your Executive summary report, the new revenue that has been introduced will be shown in your Sales report.
These will be easily identified in the report under the Total Gift Vouchers expired for the period figure, as well as in the GV Expiry column in the Sales by staff member totals:
You can find/view the adjustment invoice from the Gift Voucher Activity tab. There will be a link to the invoice provided next to the history item identifying the expiry:
How to reactivate an expired voucher
If a customer's voucher has expired, but you still want to honour it, then you can reactivate the voucher.
- Head to Setup > Gift vouchers and search for the voucher you want to edit.
- Click the voucher code to edit the gift voucher.
- Go to the Expiry tab.
- Click the Reactivate button next to the status to activate the voucher:
- Confirm that you would like to reactivate the voucher by clicking Ok. This will set the expiry to Never, but you can edit this to set a new expiry date:
- The voucher will then show up as Active and can be redeemed by the customer.