How to redeem customer credit
Redeeming customer credit is similar to applying a discount or a gift voucher to an invoice. Instead of applying a payment, you redeem the credit when you are raising a sale for the customer.
If you've already raised an invoice for the customer, you will need to Edit the invoice to apply credit.
This feature may not be available on your current plan. Find out how to upgrade in our How to change your Timely plan guide.
Redeem customer credit on a new sale
- Click the appointment in the Calendar and click Raise Sale:
- Once the sale is open, you can see what Credit balance the customer has (next to the Due date):
- Click the Credit icon in the bottom right corner (this looks like a note, with a "1" on it):
- A box will pop up that prompts you to enter the amount of credit you wish to use. This will default to the total invoice amount, or the total credit amount, whichever is smaller:
- Update the Use field, if required, then click Apply credit:
- A new "Credit redemption" line item will appear on the sale and the credit amount will be deducted from the sale total:
- Click Save to raise the invoice.
- If there is any outstanding balance you can apply a payment for that, or just hit Save again:
Redeem customer credit on an existing sale If the sale has already been raised, then you will need to
Edit the existing sale to apply the credit.
- View the sale (from the customer's record, sales tab etc).
- Click the Edit button in the bottom left corner of the sale:
- Click on the credit icon:
- A box will pop up that prompts you to enter the amount of credit you wish to use. This will default to the total invoice amount, or the total credit amount, whichever is smaller. Update the Use field, if required, then click Apply credit:
The "Credit redemption" will be added to the sale and the total updated. Click Save to apply:
The balance of the sale will be updated. If the credit was for the full amount, the invoice will then show as Paid in full:
Important information for accounting add ons
If you are using any of our accounting integrations and the invoice has already synced to Xero/QuickBooks/MYOB, then redeeming credit in Timely won't update the invoice in your accounting system.
You will need to edit the invoice in your account system and add the redemption line there, making sure to code this to the Customer credit liability account designated in your Timely settings.
You can find out more about using Customer credit with accounting integrations, in the following guides: