How to set up online payments for bookings
Your customers can pay for their appointments when they book through Timely. We have a range of payment gateways to choose from so that your customers can pay for their appointments at the time of booking. For a list of all of our support gateways check here.
This process involves the following:
- Connect a payment gateway.
- Add custom text to the payment page.
- Set your default online payment terms.
- Adjust your online payment terms for individual classes or services.
Can’t see these online payment options in your account? Sales and invoicing is available on our Schedule and Sell plan. To upgrade to this plan, check out our How to change your Timely plan guide.
Connect and setup a payment gateway
We connect to a number of different payment gateways. You can choose which payment gateway you would like to use from our Supported Gateways.
Each provider will have its own fee structure, so make sure to check them all out to see which best fits your business.
- Go to Setup > Add ons > Payment gateways.
- Click the Activate button.
- Select your payment gateway and set up your gateway as per these instructions here.
Note that payment gateways can work a little differently from each other. When PayPal is connected, the customer will be redirected to a new booking page that is hosted by PayPal. For this reason, it's not possible to add custom text to their payment page.
Learn more: Check out our How to connect a payment gateway to your account.
Add custom text to the payment page
Some payment gateways will require you to show specific information about your business on the payment page, like your business address or registered company name. You can add these and/or any further instructions you'd like to give customers.
- Head to Setup > Add ons from the main menu and click Configure next to the payment gateway.
- Next to the Custom text on the payment page option, click Turn on:
- Enter the information and message you would like to display on that payment page:
- Click Save to apply your changes.
Set your default online booking payment terms
You also have the option to set individual payment terms for individual services or classes. Check out Step 3 (below) for more information.
- Head to Setup > Online bookings.
- Scroll down to the Online payment terms section.
- You have a few options when it comes to requiring online payment:
- Require full payment
- Require a deposit (a percentage of the total price e.g. 20%)
- Require a deposit (a fixed amount e.g. $20)
Select which option you'd like to use from the list.
- If you have requested a deposit instead of full payment, you will be given a field to enter the deposit amount or percentage:
- To give customers to option of paying later, check the Provide a "Pay later" option check box (see above).
- You can also determine if the customer Can pay remaining amount online (see above).
- Click Save to apply your settings.
Adjust the online payment terms for individual services
- Head to Setup > Services or Setup > Classes.
- Click Edit next to the service/class you want to adjust.
- Scroll down to the Online payments section:
- Check the Use a different payment policy for this service radio button.
- Choose the relevant option from the drop-down list.
- Click the Save button to apply.
Once the gateway and terms are set up, customers will be redirected to the gateway to pay for their appointment when they click Confirm on the last step of the online booking process.
Timely will reserve the booking on your calendar for up to 60 minutes while the payment is completed. If the payment is not successful then the slot will be released.
Here is an example where the eWay gateway is being used. Your customer can click Pay later or Pay now at this point:
( Note: If a customer decides to use the Pay later option, this will create an appointment and invoice which they are are able to download).
Frequently asked questions
Q. What happens to services with “Varies” or “Do not show” pricing?
A. Online payments will not be offered for bookings that include a service with “Varies” or “Do not show” pricing which means they will be processed as usual.
Q. Can I ask my customers for deposits?
A. Yes, you can set up deposits in addition to full payments. Read this help article to find out how.
Q. Can I add a credit card surcharge for card payments/merchant fees?
A. It's not possible to add an automatic surcharge to your online payments or invoices. You can manually add and calculate a surcharge by creating a "Surcharge" product and adding this to the invoice instead. We recommend including the surcharge in your pricing if you accept online payments.