If you are registered as a Sustainable Salon, then you may wish to charge an additional fee (or surcharge) to pass on the cost of those services to your clients.
In Timely, a default "Sustainable Salon fee" product is added to your account, which is automatically added to appointments that you add to your calendar. This can manually be added or removed from sales, as desired.
In the guide, we'll cover how to:
- Enable the automatic fee on your account.
- Edit the default collection fee product.
- Apply the fee on the Timely desktop website.
- Apply the fee on the Timely iOS app.
- Report on fees collected.
Want to find out more about Sustainable Salons?
Sustainable Salons provide a recycling service for salons to responsibly and sustainably dispose of their resources. This includes everything from paper and plastics, to hair and chemicals. There is a fixed month rate for this service, which is based on the number of clients you have seen over the last 12 months. Check out the Sustainable Salons website, for more information: http://sustainablesalons.org/
You can also find out more about Sustainable Salons on the Timely blog:
- Timely | Salon Trends 2018: https://www.gettimely.com/blog/salon-trends/
- Timely | Get Started with Sustainability: https://www.gettimely.com/blog/sustainable-salon-software-3-steps-get-started/
- Timely | Spotlight on Sustainable Salons: https://www.gettimely.com/blog/an-interview-with-sustainable-salons-australia/
This feature may not be available on your current plan. Find out how to upgrade in our How to change your Timely plan guide.
Enable fees on your account
You will need to be registered as a Sustainable Salon to be able to use the collection fee in Timely.
Once you have registered, Sustainable Salons will get in touch with us directly to confirm your registration. Alternatively, the account holder can contact us directly to enable this in your account.
We will then enable this from our end and send a confirmation to the account holder's email address. You can then begin to collect fees on appointment sales.
Edit the default fee product
Once this is enabled, we will add a default "Sustainable Salon fee" product to your account.
- By default, this will be a set price of $2 (which is inclusive of GST), but this can be amended to a price/tax type that suits your business requirements.
- Head to Setup > Products.
- Search for the Sustainable Salon fee product in the search field provided.
- Click Edit next to the product:
- You can then adjust the SKU/Handle, Cost price, Price, Tax type (as desired):
- Or Upload new photo (if desired):
- Click Save to apply.
Apply the fee on the desktop website
Once the Sustainable Salon fee is enabled, the default product will be added to any appointment sales that are raised from the calendar. This includes both sales raised from an appointment, as well as "walk-in" service sales.
Only a single fee will be added to a sale, so adding further services won't add additional fees.
Note: Fees won't be automatically collected for online bookings, as there is no way for clients to opt-out of paying that fee online. This can manually be added to an online booking sale after it has been raised, if desired.
- Raise the sale from the booking, as you would normally.
- The fee will automatically be added to the sale:
- You can use the fields to adjust the price of the fee, if required:
- Or, you can Delete the fee, if appropriate by clicking the trash icon and Delete to confirm:
Manually adding the fee to a sale
If you would like to add the fee to a product sale, or a sale for an online booking, this can be done manually:
- Raise an invoice for a product sale, or edit the sale for the online booking.
- Click + Product to add a product to the sale:
- Search for the Sustainable salon fee in the field provided:
- Click on the Sustainable salon fee in the suggestions to add it to the sale:
- The fee will then be shown on the customer's invoice/receipt:
Apply the fee on the Timely iOS app
- For sales raised via the iOS app, only sales raised via the Raise sale button (from the booking) will have the fee added:
- For walk-in sales raised via the iOS app, you can manually add the fee to the sale, like you would any other product:
Note: Fees won't be automatically collected for online bookings, as there is no way for clients to opt-out of paying that fee online. This can manually be added to an online booking sale after it has been raised.
Report on fees collected
As the fee is added to your account as a product, you can report on fees collected using either the
- or the
- Both of these can be accessed from the
- section and can be run for a specific date range, location or staff member:
- Sales report:
- Product sales report: