If you’re having trouble connecting your terminal to the Timely web app, follow these steps.
Tip: If you need to access the touchscreen terminal settings, start by swiping right on the screen of the terminal and tap Settings followed by the admin pin 0-7-1-3-9.
- Check that the battery has been installed properly
- Check that your terminal is connected to Wifi
- Check that your DNS settings are correct
- Restart the terminal
- Disconnect and reconnect the terminal
Check that the battery has been installed properly
If your battery isn't installed and the terminal is plugged into the power the screen will flash black. The battery was provided in the box with your terminal and needs to be installed.
Pull the back cover off the terminal by turning the device over and pulling up on the back cover from the indent on the bottom-left.
The battery should be installed so that the gold connectors on the battery line up with the gold connectors in the battery slot.
Check that your terminal is connected to Wifi
This can be done by connecting to Wifi. To access Wifi settings, swipe right on the screen of the Card Terminal and tap “Settings”. Enter admin pin 0-7-1-3-9, and then tap “Network” to view and connect to WiFi networks.
Ensure the terminal and the device you are using Timely on are connected to the same Wifi network. This network must also be password-protected.
After you connect to Wifi, the terminal will still need to be paired to Timely. This can be done by following the Connecting your terminal to Timely guide.
Check that your DNS settings are correct
If you are able to successfully connect your terminal to Timely for the first time but run into a connection error when trying to take payment using the terminal, you may have an issue with your DNS settings.
Some DNS providers block DNS resolution of local IP addresses. If your DNS provider blocks local IP resolution, you will need to change the network settings on the device you are using Timely on, in order to use your touchscreen terminal.
To confirm if your DNS settings are set up correctly, swipe right on the screen of the Card Terminal and tap Settings, enter the admin pin 0-7-1-3-9, and then tap Diagnostics. Scroll down to "DNS Resolution" which should appear as "Passed" if connected correctly. If this instead appears as "Failed" then the DNS settings are incorrect and will need updating to use one of the following DNS providers:
- Cloudflare DNS (126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52)
- Google Public DNS (184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11)
If you are unsure how to change the DNS settings on your device, Google's article explains how to configure your network settings to use Google Public DNS.
Restart the terminal
Next, try restarting the terminal by pressing the power button on the right side of the device and selecting 'restart'.
If the terminal does not respond to pressing the power button, hold the power button for 6 seconds for a forced restart.
Disconnect and reconnect the terminal
If you are having frequent connection issues with your terminal, you may find that disconnecting and reconnecting the terminal does the trick. You may also need to go through this process from step onward if your terminal has randomly disconnected from Timely.
- Your terminal can be disconnected from Timely from either the web app using a browser or from the iOS app.
- If disconnecting from the web app: start by logging in to Timely, select Setup
- If disconnecting from the Timely iOS app: start by logging in to the app, select Settings, followed by Account settings
- Navigate to the TimelyPay section and select Edit.
- This will display the below section with the name of your terminal. Select the Unpair button to disconnect your terminal from Timely.
- Once you see the below red banner, your terminal has successfully been disconnected from Timely.
- To reconnect your terminal you will need to generate a new pairing code from your terminal. Start by accessing the terminal settings by swiping right on the screen of the terminal and tap Settings. Next enter the admin pin 0-7-1-3-9, and then tap Generate pairing code which should display a three word pairing code.
- Tip: instead of trying to remember the above numbers, another idea is to start at '0' and from there tap each outside corner in a clockwise direction.
- Back in Timely, select Set up my terminal
- Next, enter the three word pairing code shown on the terminal. This should be three words separated by hyphens. For example: alpha-bravo-charlie.
- Next, enter a name for the terminal.
- The terminal name can be anything. Your business name, a description of where the terminal is located or just ‘super smart TimelyPay Terminal’ are some options.
- Lastly, select the Pair with terminal button.
- You should see the following message to let you know that your terminal has been successfully connected.