You can connect your PayPal account to Timely to accept online payments for bookings, invoices and gift vouchers.
In this guide we'll cover how to:
- Connect your PayPal account to Timely.
- Set your online payment policy in Timely.
- Update your PayPal account settings.
- Manage payments and refunds in PayPal.
Connect your PayPal account to Timely
If you don't already have a PayPal account, you will need to sign up here for a PayPal Business or PayPal Premiere account (currently called PayPal Payments Standard).
Once your Paypal account is active, you can connect it to Timely:
- Head to Setup > Add ons in Timely:
- Under Payment gateways click Activate:
- Select Paypal from the options:
- Enter the email address for your Paypal account. As PayPal allows you to send money to any email address, it will be technically possible to enter any email address here, so make sure the address you enter is correct! Find out more about finding and updating your email in PayPal.
- Click Activate to complete the process:
- You'll then be taken back to the page where you can see your online payment settings. You'll also need to make sure your PayPal settings are correct (see below).
You must have a PayPal Business or PayPal Premiere account to use PayPal with Timely. The following PayPal accounts and features aren't supported:
- PayPal Personal accounts.
- PayPal's Express Checkout features.
- PayPal Payflow.
- The PayPal Here card reader can't be connected to Timely directly, but you can manage this alongside Timely.
- PayPal Website Payments Pro or Payments Pro.
- Accepting eCheques, as these take up to 14 working days to process.
Set your online payment policy in Timely
Now that PayPal is connected to Timely, you can customise your online payment policies to suit your business.
You can control:
- The default online payment policy for the entire business.
- The payment policy for an individual service.
- If customers are able to purchase gift voucher online.
- If customers are able to pay for overdue invoices online.
Click on the option above to view the related guide! Right click to view the guide in a new window.
Update your PayPal account settings
There are a number of settings that need to be in place in your PayPal account, to make sure that payments are successfully received in Timely.
You will need to login to your PayPal account and adjust the following settings:
- Allow payment via credit card (guest checkout) .
- Check your instant payment notification (IPN) settings.
- Remove any Sales taxes from PayPal.
- Update your preferences for blocking receiving payments.
Check out our How to update your PayPal settings guide for step-by-step instructions.
Manage payments and refunds in PayPal
We've put together a couple of tips for managing your payments in PayPal:
You may see some payments showing up as “Pending” in PayPal. This can happen for a couple of reasons:
- If the currency setting in your Timely account is different from your PayPal account e.g. you receive a payment in NZ in USD.
- If the customer doesn't currently have funds in their PayPal account, then the payment may be processed via an eCheque. These can take up to 14 days to process, so we recommend blocking those payments to prevent IPNs from failing (See: Set your website preferences above).
Once an online payment has been completed, the balance will remain in PayPal until you withdraw the funds. You can withdraw your funds in PayPal to a nominated bank account, check out this PayPal help guide for more information.
If you are wanting to process a refund for a PayPal payment, you will need to refund the payment in both Timely and PayPal.
- You'll want to select "PayPal" as the refund type when refunding the payment in Timely. Check out our How to issue a refund guide for more information.
- To process a refund in PayPal, check our PayPal's guide.
You will be charged a fee for every payment you collect via PayPal, this is commonly a % of the total sale. Fees are based on transactions and differ depending on the country where your business operates. Read this PayPal guide on their fee structure for more information.